Lesson Plan and Curriculum Resources
KASC has a collection of K-12 lesson plans available upon request that were created by teachers for teachers. Teachers can bring African culture to their classrooms through hands-on art projects to mock traveling activities to engaging discussion. All of the activities in the lesson plans in the catalog can be replicated in the classroom, and any pedagogical matericals can be requested from the center.
- Challenging stereotypes in the classroom/media
- African geography, history and politics
- Specific culture focus on different regions of Africa
- Art projects
- Folktales and proverbs
Online lesson plan resources:
- New York Times Lesson Plan on Cellphones in Africa: Discusses the new, surprising development of cellular phone technology in low-income parts of Africa.
- Lesson Plans for Teaching About Africa in the Early Elementary Grades
- Education Helper- for reproducible lesson plans and activities for your class, lessons plans and more.
- Kansas Council for the Social Studies
- National Geographic Society has a number of lesson plans about the various regions of the world separated by the 18 national social studies standards
- The New York Times has a wealth of resources for teachers and students. You can also sign up to receive daily lesson plans in your area of specialization
- PBS TeacherSource