KU Study Abroad Opportunities in Africa
KU offers several formal opportunities for study in Africa, in a variety of countries and languages. Most programs coordinated by KU are available to students through the Office of Study Abroad. Please contact Jenna Hunter-Skidmore for specific information about KU's programs in Morocco, or Holly Rains for specific information about programs in other African countries. In addition, OSA can help you find or create a trip to whatever specific country interests you, even if KU doesn't have a prepared program there. (Please remember, however, that KU's policy is not to send students to countries with U.S. Federal Government Travel Warning in place, and this unfortunately includes many African countries. If you wish to visit one of these countries, your best bet would be to arrange the trip through some organization or institution other than the University.) We strongly encourage students to consult OSA before planning any kind of study abroad program.
Arabic Studies Summer Institute
- This program is held at the Al-Akhawayn University, a school of about 1,000 students, in Ifrane, Morocco. Ifrane is a very European-styled city of 12,000 people, with popular skiing in winter.
- Read the program overview for complete details. Students may complete a set of courses in Arabic language as well as courses in North African Studies. Courses are listed under AAAS 445.
- Contact the coordinator, Dr. Naima Boussofara directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-4448, or contact the KU Office of Study Abroad for information on signing up.
Sustainability, Development, and Community Empowerment in the Eastern Cape, South Africa
- This summer program, led by Byron Caminero-Santangelo, will introduce students to different narratives of conservation, social and environmental justice, sustainability, and development at play in debates about tourism and resource extraction in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. In the process, students will explore the relationships between these narratives and the history of environmental change, colonialism, apartheid, and post-apartheid development.
- For full details read the Office of Study Abroad's brochure about this program.
Medical internships in Africa
- KU Medical School Office of Study Abroad coordinates internships in Tanzania, Swaziland, and either rural or urban South Africa.
- ONLY KU Medical Center students are eligible. The language of instruction/work in the African locations is English. Applications are due anywhere from 9 to 18 months in advance, so start planning early! KUMC International Health Electives can provide more information.
- For further inquiries contact:
Judith Reagan, Director
KUMC International Programs
Kansas University Medical School
Kansas City Campus
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, Kansas 66160
Additional links for interested students
- African Higher Education Resource Directory
- SIT (School for International Training) - Offers potential programs for Student-Initiated Projects (SIPs). Visit the Office of Study Abroad for more details!
Through the generous contributions of Dr. Allan W. Wicker and Edna Elnar-Wicker, the KU Office of Study Abroad will be offering one, $10,000 scholarship per year to assist undergraduate KU students with demonstrated financial need or high academic merit to participate in semester-long, single country study abroad programs through SIT Study Abroad. SIT Study Abroad offers semester study abroad programs to the following African destinations: Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Morocco, & Tunisia.
Eligible students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and have applied to an eligible SIT program. Students can apply for the scholarship online through the Office of Study Abroad website here.
For more information on SIT Study Abroad, drop by the Office of Study Abroad Info Center in 105 Lippincott, or call 785.864.3742 to schedule an appointment with the regional coordinator for your destination country.
- American University in Cairo
- International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP)
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)